Be an informed voter this Spring!
SEOPCO and the Wednesday Journal are sponsoring candidate forums for both school board races and the Park District.
All candidate forums will be held at Irving Elementary School Auditorium – 1125 S. Cuyler
Park Board of Oak Park Candidate Forum
Date: Thursday, March 12
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 pm
District 200 – Oak Park River Forest School Board Candidate Forum
Date: Thursday, March 19
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 pm
District 97 – Oak Park Elementary School Board Candidate Forum
Date: Thursday, March 26
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 pm
Sponsored by SEOPCO & the Wednesday Journal
Here’s how SEOPCO worked with the community in 2014 to make our neighborhood a better place.
- Organized our Annual Barrie Fest, which took place in September. Live bands played throughout the afternoon as approximately 300 neighbors enjoyed an afternoon of visiting our business fair, jumping in the bounce houses, Oak Park Fire Department demonstration and junior firefighters, having coffee or lunch and listening to great music. Wonderful afternoon to visit with friends and get to know your neighbors!
- Worked with the Oak Park Police Department to organize an expanded RBO meeting in response to safety concerns in our neighborhood this summer. Approximately 10 officers from the Oak Park police, including Chief Tanksley, and over 50 community members gathered together to discuss how to increase safety in South East Oak Park. This meeting has led to an increase in the number of officers attending RBO meetings to address specific community issues.
- Contributed to a study of how best to shape the future of development along Roosevelt Road, commissioned by the Village and carrried out by Ehlers Inc. A development funding analysis that resulted was presented to the Village Board. Staff is still studying optons.
- Partnered with Culvers for an October fund raiser to help raise funds for the Irving library. All funds raised will go to purchasing new furniture for the library.
- Worked with the Oak Park Park District and the Irving PTO to plan annual Movie Night in conjunction with Irving’s Back-to-School party. Sadly, it was rained out for the first time. The money paid for the licensing fee will be applied to next year’s Movie Night. Thank you to the Park District and the PTO for all their work on this.
- Monitored developments on the Eisenhower Transportation Corridor. There was no significant movement this year,
but SEOPCO continues to stay in touch with this important transporation issue.
Celebrating the Southeast Oak Park Community!
Saturday, September 13 in Barrie Park
(Lombard at Garfield)
1 – 5 PM
Lots of Activities!
Organization and Business Fair
Live music from Ring Shout and Friends, Jim Haptonstahl, and Bright Abyss
Free organic compost for people to take home and give a boost to their gardens! (bring your own container)
Oak Park Fire Department truck with the “Flame House” for the Kids! (1-2 pm)
Bike registration by the OP Police Department
Bounce House and Obstacle Course
Pet Parade at 2:00 p.m.! Dress your pets up and win a prize (starts at the stage)
Community Bank of Oak Park River Forest
Food by Robinson’s Ribs and beverages from Mojo Express
The Village begins road work on South Ridgeland Avenue starting this week. Work includes resurfacing of the asphalt between the I-290 bridge north to the CTA Green Line bridge, and new pavement markings from Roosevelt Road to the CTA Green LIne.
More information is available in this letter from the Village
From the Village of Oak Park:
The Village of Oak Park is analyzing economic funding resources for Roosevelt Road.
What’s available for new business and development? What are the eligibility requirements?
Together with our consultant, Ehlers, Inc., Oak Park will be creating a report with recommendations on how best to shape the future of development along Roosevelt Road. Your input is needed.
Stakeholder meetings will be held on:
Thursday, June 5
6108 Roosevelt Road (currently vacant building between Taylor and Lyman)
Friday, June 6
Village Hall, 123 Madison Street, Room 101
Please RSVP to Angela Schell, Development Customer Services, at 708-358-5424 or email@example.com