Mark your calendars for our two big events in September.
Movie Night in Barrie Park will be held on Friday Sept. 9, in conjunction with Irving School and the Park District. We’ll have a pizza party starting in the late afternoon, then show a movie at dusk.
The next day, Saturday the 10th, is our annual Barrie Fest, starting at noon. We’re still working on the agenda — feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions. We will definitely have bands, a business fair, bounce houses and other entertainment.
Stay tuned for more details.
Dear Friends and Neighbors of South East Oak Park,
Over the last 14 years, South East Oak Park has become a vibrant, diverse neighborhood. We have a strong elementary school with a great reputation, and many new neighbors who have joined our community to live and raise their families.
This year we are again conducting our annual membership drive and inviting friends and neighbors to help us fund events and activities within our community. Your investment in our organization and community will go a long way toward funding our events and helping to increase awareness of Southeast Oak Park.
In 2016, SEOPCO is planning events we hope you will enjoy. We intend to collaborate with the Irving School PTO and the Park District of Oak Park to host Movie Night in Barrie Park. Our annual Barrie Fest will also be back for a 12th year and will feature local live entertainment, bounce houses, a business and organization fair, and much more. We also intend to keep the community informed on issues around the reconstruction of I-290.
Our suggested household annual membership is just $20. Please take a moment to donate by clicking on the “Contribute” tab. Or you can mail a check to SEOPCO, P.O. Box 1722, Oak Park, IL 60304.
Thanks for your support. On behalf of the SEOPCO board thank you all that you do for our neighborhood!
Co-Chairs Allan Flynn Laura Crawford
Movie Night will be held Friday September 11 at Barrie Park, starting at sundown (around 7:30). The movie is Despicable Me 2. Please come early for Irving’s PTO’s back-to-school party with a DJ and pizza and drinks for sale.
The next day, September 12, will be Barrie Fest, from noon until 5:00. We’ll have bands, bounce houses, local police and fire departments and the Book Bike!
More details to follow.
Be an informed voter this Spring!
SEOPCO and the Wednesday Journal are sponsoring candidate forums for both school board races and the Park District.
All candidate forums will be held at Irving Elementary School Auditorium – 1125 S. Cuyler
Park Board of Oak Park Candidate Forum
Date: Thursday, March 12
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 pm
District 200 – Oak Park River Forest School Board Candidate Forum
Date: Thursday, March 19
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 pm
District 97 – Oak Park Elementary School Board Candidate Forum
Date: Thursday, March 26
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 pm
Sponsored by SEOPCO & the Wednesday Journal
Here’s how SEOPCO worked with the community in 2014 to make our neighborhood a better place.
- Organized our Annual Barrie Fest, which took place in September. Live bands played throughout the afternoon as approximately 300 neighbors enjoyed an afternoon of visiting our business fair, jumping in the bounce houses, Oak Park Fire Department demonstration and junior firefighters, having coffee or lunch and listening to great music. Wonderful afternoon to visit with friends and get to know your neighbors!
- Worked with the Oak Park Police Department to organize an expanded RBO meeting in response to safety concerns in our neighborhood this summer. Approximately 10 officers from the Oak Park police, including Chief Tanksley, and over 50 community members gathered together to discuss how to increase safety in South East Oak Park. This meeting has led to an increase in the number of officers attending RBO meetings to address specific community issues.
- Contributed to a study of how best to shape the future of development along Roosevelt Road, commissioned by the Village and carrried out by Ehlers Inc. A development funding analysis that resulted was presented to the Village Board. Staff is still studying optons.
- Partnered with Culvers for an October fund raiser to help raise funds for the Irving library. All funds raised will go to purchasing new furniture for the library.
- Worked with the Oak Park Park District and the Irving PTO to plan annual Movie Night in conjunction with Irving’s Back-to-School party. Sadly, it was rained out for the first time. The money paid for the licensing fee will be applied to next year’s Movie Night. Thank you to the Park District and the PTO for all their work on this.
- Monitored developments on the Eisenhower Transportation Corridor. There was no significant movement this year,
but SEOPCO continues to stay in touch with this important transporation issue.